Sunday, April 26, 2009

DRAFT STUFF - PART ONE

YES!

Nice pick up VIKES!

I like how CHILLY and SPIELMAN made a move not too many people thought they'd make. sure there were ramblings about CHILLYs visit down to FLA but still. It goes against every stereo type people have of CHILLY. "Won't take risks." "Brings in wholesome people like SAGE." etc.

Here is a Q and A with PERCY taken off the VIKINGS WEBSITE.




Percy Harvin Quotes
4/25/2009

Q: What are your thoughts on being picked by the Vikings?

A: It was a great privilege, actually going through this whole process. Me and my agent, Joel Segal, who helped me out a ton, we kind of went through the teams we wanted to go to. Minnesota was kind of number one on my list, just being a team that I could grow from, being under Bernard Berrian and being that they already got a workhorse in Adrian Peterson. I’m just looking to come in and help win and be a (piece of) this puzzle. I’m looking forward to being a Viking and helping the team win.

Q: What was it like when Coach Childress came down to visit?

A: It was tremendous. We didn’t specifically talk about any subject (or) anything that kind of went on. It was kind of like we were just buddies and just doing a lot of things. We went out to eat. Like I said, we didn’t specifically talk about anything; we did hit on football and things like that. For the most part it was just hanging out and getting to know each other. It was a great, tremendous visit. Even after that we kind of texted each other. Everything was very good.

Q: How many hours did you spend with Coach Childress?

A: He actually came down here a couple days ago. We spent about half of a day together. I had briefly met with him when I came to the Vikings for a visit a month ago. I also met him when we went to the Combine.

Q: Did you feel like you had to explain some things about off-the-field issues? There was a report of a failed drug test.

A: Definitely. I respect the question. Growing up, I’ve always been good with getting things out in the open. I knew it was a question that had to be answered. I had no problems with answering it. With these coaches, I opened up to them and they opened up to me. When it got to those subjects, the only thing I could do was tell them the truth, be up front and let them judge me from there. We had a great respect for each other. Them picking me shows they believed in me. I got their back and they got mine. I’m just looking forward to becoming a Viking.

Q: You were projected by a lot of people to be a top 10 pick. Is it disappointing for you to fall down to the 22nd pick?

A: Not at all. I’m privileged. Like I said, this is a blessing. I’m in a situation that not many people get to be in. I wasn’t worried with the picks. It’s all said and done; I’m where I needed to be. I’m playing with the great Adrian Peterson. I’m just going to be another piece to the puzzle. I am where I needed to be.

Q: How do you think they’ll use you on the field? It sounds like they’re going to put you all over the place, returning kicks. Is it going to be using you in a lot of different roles?

A: Yeah, we talked about it. They’re thinking of using me similar to what I did in college, of course playing receiver a little bit more. I told the coaches I would do anything. My freshman year, I played on the punt block team. I’m willing to do anything, any special teams or anything I need to do to contribute to the team. I’m a team player. There was some talk on how they were going to use me offensive-wise. But I’m not worried about all that. I’m just coming in ready to work hard and wherever I end up learning and fitting in, then that’s where I fit in.

Q: Are you excited about the opportunity to return punts and kickoffs?

A: Oh, definitely. When I got to the period of coming to the next level at the Combine, when teams started talking to me about returning kicks and punts, I just started getting chills. I’m a space-type player. The more space I’m in, the most-dangerous I can be. Now it’s just another question of could I run routes or be effective being a third receiver. I just think to myself that the more space I’m in, that’s the better I am. I’ve been really itching to get back in the return game. I really couldn’t do it at Florida being that we had a dynamic returner in Brandon James. So I’m definitely looking forward to that opportunity again.

Q: How are you physically?

A: I’m about as healthy as I can get. I cleared all the physicals. I’ve been running good. I’ve been cutting good. I made it through all the workouts. I’m feeling back to where I felt when I first got to Florida. I’m making all my cuts sharp. My body is just feeling really healthy. Through the whole (draft) process, I was able to not only get healthy, but my agent did a tremendous job of (holding) me back at the NFL Combine and giving my body extra time to heal. I give a lot of credit to my agent in helping me through this whole process.

Q: What would you say to people who say that you are a risk as a draft pick?

A: People have their own opinions. That’s why I have so much respect in Minnesota. They took the time out to send the head coach. Instead of scouts down here, I met with the coach. They really took time to dig in and see the real Percy Harvin. Like I said, this thing and all the high school stuff was just growing up. The issue, it was a mistake. I grew from it and I’m just looking forward to playing football.

Q: A lot of receivers taken in the first round have a hard time making the transition to the NFL. Do you feel like there is less pressure on you to come in right away and be a savior at receiver with veterans like Bernard Berrian and Bobby Wade here?

A: That’s exactly why I liked Minnesota so much. They’ve got Bernard Berrian. They’ve got one of the best receivers coaches in George (Stewart). They’ve got Adrian Peterson. I see myself as coming on the field, and I feel I’ll be one of the least worries for a defense, being that Adrian Peterson is probably the best running back in the game right now. Just to come in, it’s a tremendous opportunity for me. When I got the call from coach, I was (excited) just because I know the opportunities. It’s something I’m looking forward to grasping. It’s once in a lifetime.

Q: Will the fast surface of the Metrodome be even better for the way you play football?

A: Oh yeah. That’s my thing there. I think if you talk to most track runners who played football, they started running on the turf and the AstroTurf and things like that, it takes your speed to another level. I got to play on it a couple times when we played in the SEC Championship games, so I’m definitely looking forward to playing on that.

Q: Brad Childress said he spent a lot of time talking to your head coach and offensive coaches. Obviously he got good reports from them. How important was that to you that the people you got to know real well all had your back as they talked to Childress?

A: It means more than words can describe. After every visit, all I could do is just text Coach (Urban Meyer) and tell him thank you for everything. I feel like I owed him the world. We had probably the best relationship I could have as far as player-coach relationship with those guys. I owe the University of Florida and the Gator Nation more than I can ever describe. The coaches, I thank them. A lot of my success and a lot things that have come before have helped with moving me and helping me grow as a person.

Q: Were there any other teams that were looking at you at the start of the draft?

A: There were a lot of teams; Oakland was a good chance there and the Jaguars. The Patriots and the Jets if they didn’t get the trade to get Mark Sanchez, I was going to end up there. Tampa Bay and Miami were trying to get me and the Patriots were trying to make a move. I just kept looking at my agent telling him I want to get to the 22nd pick. I just had so much faith that I and coach got along and had a really good feel with each other. The whole time I wasn’t worried about going as a top ten pick. Let’s just hurry up and get to the 22nd pick.

Q: Did you consider yourself as one of the best college football players last year?

A: Different people have their views of who the best. I do think that I am one of the most explosive ones as far as getting the ball into my hands. Just being that I can do a lot of things those other receivers can’t do but I did think in my mind that a lot of receivers could do. With all that said, I never sat down and thought about that. I do think that I am one of the most explosive receivers and I think there a lot of things that I could bring to a team because I can line up in the backfield and as a slot and as an out. I think I have a lot to offer to a team.

Q: How many touches are you looking for per game, with Peterson in the backfield. What are realistic?

A: I don’t have a number; it’s just an honor to be there. I’m not looking forward to how many touches I’m going to get. I know they primarily have Adrian Peterson there. I’m there basically to contribute however I can. I can touch it one time, two times and I will make the most of it. Like I said, if I touch it once or twice, I’ll make the fans stand up and cheer.

Q: We all know how you felt about coach Childress, what did your mom think of him?

A: We thought the world of him, like I said it goes back to as far as the top 10 or top 15; we were waiting for the 22nd pick. We knew that the pressure wouldn’t be so much with Peterson and Bernard Berrian and the coach. We had so much of a good relationship we were texting throughout the whole thing. The visit we had here wasn’t sit down and talk football. We told stories, we laughed, we giggled, we played around. Like I said, I had a lot of faith that the number 22 pick was where I was going to land the whole time.

Q: Were you nervous about the meeting with Childress and how he wanted to come down and meet you face to face?

A: Not at all, I’m a person who is willing to put everything out there, I knew a lot of the things that were in question, and I knew the whole time that I was a genuine person and a good hearted person. Like I said, I did get into some things that a person would get into growing up. I never had a problem with any of the coaches coming down because at the end of the day I felt like all I could do is be me so with that said me and coach got along very good and my parents loved him we love him and it was a great experience for both of us.



1 comment:

Gizanked said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.