Friday, April 03, 2009

WHAT WE REALLY NEED!

HEY PURPLE PEOPLE

So this is my take on what we really need. I am not gonna bitch and moan about the QB or getting a "true #1 WR" etc. That is all drivel for the fantasy football / mock draft people to argue about. They can project so and so to be a great WR all they want. More then half the time they're dead wrong anyways. Even the "experts"

I am not even gonna talk about the draft... I like how we've been drafting the last few years. I am sure they will draft for the best player available and not force it.

We need our team to be more DISRUPTIVE... especially in the passing game!  We were 10th in the league as far as PASSING ATTEMPTS AGAINST (530)  and only 22nd in INTERCEPTIONS  (12).  

By comparison the teams that were number one & two  in INTERCEPTIONS (Ravens 26 and Browns 23) were numbers 12 (528 atts) and 3 ( 486 atts) respectively in most passing attempts against. 

So the RAVENS have a PIC every 20.3 attempts and the BROWNS have one every 21 attempts.  

Our ratio is one interception every 44 attempts. That's barely every game or two.

I used passing attempts instead of passing plays because of sacks, and scrambles etc.  Which brings me to the other side of the passing plays. Sacks.

Contrary to popular belief, we were FOURTH in the entire league in total sacks. That's pretty good. Dallas was miles ahead of everyone with 59... we had 46. Just under three a game.  And that was pretty much in line with the other teams on a per passing play ratio.

FUMBLES

We were 2nd in the LEAGUE With forced fumbles! That's great.. and fourth with recovered fumbles... obviously that's just how the ball bounces etc.  

Any casual fan knows we have hard hitting DBs and they cause fumbles. I like our guys a lot.  We also know Mr Sharper was a tad late to a lot of passes.

3rd down conversion ratio AGAINST

I can't find this stat anywhere, but I remember being traumatized many times in the Philly game.  sometimes we can't even get coverage sacks so what gives? I know sometimes we have a zone, sometimes do bump and run, so I won't generalize... but in general - we don't seem to have that killer instinct. I know a few games when we had late leads we held... 

Anyone know where to find this stat?

anyways, i like with EJ Henderson back.. MADEA Williams playing all year, Sharper leaving and JOHNSON taking over. We will be a little faster and more disruptive. We need our LBs and DBs to make those picks! Just 10 more next year would translate into a couple wins or some comfortable wins instead of nail biters!

No comments: