Monday, September 09, 2013

Well I didn't expect that... [ 0-1 ]




Well... I didn't expect that... I guess that's why it's week one.  So much happened yesterday I didn't anticipate.... this blog might be a doozy.  I think all fans are on edge during week one because it's the first chance we get to see the new product.  All off season teams make changes to their roster and implement new schemes and by the time opening day comes around, you hope your team has built on the successes of last year and shored up a few holes.  You go into opening day feeling positive and hopeful. 
( And if you're a Vikings fan, nervous)   

Here were my questions before the game... the answers in red. (Please click to view in the light box / enlarge)

I don't like to do recaps you can find those anywhere.  I like to talk about what I think and feel after the games. Yesterday was some serious manic depressive stuff. I was exhausted afterwards.

HIGHEST HIGH


LOWEST LOW

My twitter feed yesterday was pretty hilarious.  The Ponder haters were out in full force every time he'd make a mistake.  I certainly feel their pain and I can see for myself when he does something really stupid like the INT at the end of the first half, but  I just don't think those people realize how most football minds don't buy the magic pill arguments.  Also it's impossible to "debate" with them because they're arguing a hypothetical (as if it were fact) saying things like "IF Ponder wasn't playing we would have won" etc.  Which is obviously an opinion born out of bias and spite not rational facts.  We scored 24  points yesterday, (more than 20+ other teams in the NFL) that is usually enough to win a game.  Unfortunately as you all know we gave up 34 and couldn't stop them at all really.

Here is my take on Ponder.  He's started 28 games. (Not quite 2 full seasons) Many of those games he had poor line play, no one to throw too, played from behind etc.  I am not a "Ponderholic"making excuses,  I am just observing.  Even under those bad circumstances you want to see improvement and not poor decisions like that awful one yesterday not to take the sack or throw it away.  (He should be very very good at throwing the ball away by now.  He can get out of the pocket in seconds and I don't know why he doesn't throw it away more often)  I share people's frustrations when I see him do something that he just shouldn't do anymore.  I think maybe I am just more patient than most people.  I saw plenty of good QBs do plenty of really bad things yesterday.  That's part of week one.  I say give him a few more starts and then re-evaluate him.  It's not like we have a great talent waiting under his wings anyways.  I share people's concerns over his long ball accuracy but I know that he hasn't thrown deep that much at all. He and the receivers just need more reps hopefully.

"I didn't expect..."

  • us to hold Megatron to 37 yards
  • Bush to shred us rushing and receiving
  • AP to get completely shut down for the last 55 minutes!
  • our offensive line to play as bad as I have ever seen them
  • SIMPSON to get 140 yards. *Offensive Player of the Game!
  • us to be unable to stop them from running against us
  • us to lose by ten and it could have easily been more
  • Rudolph to be quiet
  • Coradoradora to only get one catch
Some of these things above got me in a foul mood and I will tell you why.  I don't understand what FRAZIER and company are doing sometimes.  My biggest argument is this, if for 3 quarters you haven't been able to stop DETs 4 man rush, even with 6 or 7 blockers, why keep doing max protects and roll outs?  Over and over Ponder would be under pressure and only have 3 targets to throw to. (trying to get open against 7 defenders)  Here's a perfect example, this pic is 1.4 seconds after the snap.


7 vikings . 4 Lions. Actually just 3 rushed! (nice coverage by the ref on Jennings!)

Not once did I see a 3rd and medium/long where we went to 4 or 5 WRs and gave him some quick 3 step drop routes to work with.  It's very puzzling. You factor in all the low/no gain rushes AP had on 1st and 2nd down with these formations on 3rd and it's no wonder we were 2 for 10 on third down!

I have never been on board with FRAZIER or his crew of inexperienced coordinators, and I doubt I ever will be.  You can't just hire a DB coach and a QB coach and give them your offense and defense.  This isn't college.  Maybe the WILFS gave him a tight budget I don't know but that was the first of many SMHs FRAZIER has supplied me with since he was offered the coach position.  I like what the O.C. did with Percy last year and I hope to see similar things with CP84.  I will never complain about basic AP plays- run left, run right, run down the middle because AP has always been a feast or famine back.  This line is supposed to be very good, and be able to "force their will"onto teams... but what happens if you can't?  You need to make adjustments!  If we can't make any holes for AP, then change it up.  We did the same things over and over against that insanely efficient front 7 of DETs yesterday and didn't get any results.  How about pulling some guards, doing some screens, options, anything! SMH

I haven't had a chance to listen to FRAZIERs presser today and I doubt I will.  I know it's gonna be the same old cliches about working harder, fixing things and making plays.  He'll talk about turnovers, he won't single out any one player and he won't show any fire.  He's like the dad in third rock from the sun. I wonder what he would about MUSGRAVEs play calls?


What he said

I just have to say, offensive line, defensive line, LBs, we got manhandled.  Look at this hole on that screen pass.  We have to play more together next week on defense!


As far as defense my player of the game is this fella!

SKOL HARRISON SMITH!

He did his job well yesterday.  Helped keep MEGATRON in check and got in a few licks too.  Even did enough on this play to make him have to stretch for the TD and bobble it.  SKOL!

I hope for next week that we will play a lot better.  I don't think the BEARS will give us as many problems getting holes for AP, maybe it will snowball.  He'll have more success, playaction will actually work and we can make more throws down field.

Also obviously Ponder has to play better.  Just don't make any bad throws, kid.  Take the sack or throw it away.  We will never win with 3 turnovers.

And now time for a bit called, WTF was that, REF?!


How the hell are you gonna call a personal foul for a guy putting his hands up to block a pass and brushing STAFFORD's helmet in the name of protection but not blow the play dead on an offsides YOU'RE calling that allowed the LION a free shot at PONDER?

WTF was that REF?

SKOL guys!  Please fill out the poll at the top-right. What do you think our record will be this year?

No comments: