Monday, October 20, 2008

MY DARRIN NELSON "BUFFALO 66 STORY"

I have a funny "Buffalo 66" like story about Darrin Nelson.  I think I carried a grudge against him for like 10 years after that one ill fated game at RFK.. one day I was at the Loring Bar, drunk.. and I walked into the main area on a Thursday.. back then it was French night,  all the European people would go there.  It was nice to talk to euro girls.. anyways it's always full.  Nowhere ever to sit SO there I am with some friend (i cant remember who) and I look over and who do I see? A nice black fella smiling at me.  I was like "Wow, you never see that in this bar on french night.." 

I got a little closer and noticed he was with 2 hot girls.. then I realized it was Darrin Nelson. I, in my drunk state.. saw red.


I was gonna go up to him and say something, idk what.. but I wanted to get it off my chest. So as I got right up to the table he stood up, all 5'6 of him.. and he flashed that cheesy huge grin and said in his Emmanuel Lewis voice "Hey, you want our table, we're just leaving?" Being a true blue Minnesotan I had to be taken aback at his politeness and sincere gesture- all my rage just melted away like snow in May. 

I was sort of stunned and thought to myself, "damn, that dude couldn't haul in one touchdown for us that ill fated day but he's getting two for himself tonight. psssh." So off he goes but as he was about to exit the main room I noticed his hat on the floor and I was like "Yo, D, your hat" and I flinged it to him.. it hit him right in the chest and he bobbled it onto the floor. hahaha. SMH


Relive the agony

I rank that loss as our worst, followed by 98 followed by the loss to Arizona to get knocked out of the playoffs 5 years ago or whenever that was... I saw the '78 Dallas game finally (I saw it when I was five but didn't remember anything) and I don't feel it was so bad.

No comments: